Okay, so here’s the back story:
Several years back, I had bought the MG Ground GM and Ez8 with the sole purpose of converting both kits – the Ez8 to the Ez8 High Mobility Custom (as seen in SD Gundam) and I purchased from a knock-off B Club dealer, the Blue Destiny Resin conversion kit for the Ground GM. The Ez8 was my first customize kit, which I’ll post on later. It turned out alright considering it was my first attempt.
But here’s the thing with Knock-Off (copied) resin kits, they don’t use the same quality resin as the originals. That’s why you get the kit for a fraction of the cost. But you end up getting what you pay for. Most of the time, there is warping of the pieces, flash from the mold in the worst spots, or just plain “mutated” pieces. Luckily, the dealer I went through sold pretty decent replicas, so the BD Kit was in pretty good shape. But, as it would happen, I was still hand painting my kits back then…so…the end result was this:
Not too terrible, but not great either. Over all, pretty “Meh”.
I know…he’s missing a hand. That’s because what I ended up finding out was that the resin slots for the leg polycaps and the center waist double joint were just poorly molded and wouldn’t support the weight of the top half of the MS. He fell so many times, that eventually, the center joint broke, the Machine Gun broke in two places (which was odd) and eventually I just had enough. Blue went into storage.
….then I finished the S Gundam. And found that I didn’t have any grey paints to get cracking on the Z Plus, so I took a look at my storage and came across Blue all broken and put away….and I thought “Hmmm…..maybe….”
So I went online, looked at a few pictures of the Blue Destiny from various sources and decided I’d take another shot at it.
I decided to go with a very light blue for the limbs. So light, that I decided to call it “Anime Colors” as I figure this is what it would look like if Blue Destiny was animated.
I basically reworked the whole thing…to an extent. I still cringe at that “triangle” decal that is basically hand painted on the chest. But I used a special putty to seal and secure the double jointed torso, adding a ton of stability.
I also replaced all the barrels of the chest and head vulcans with copper piping, added a little detail to the main visor camera, cleaned up the excess florescent red areas in the cameras and added a few Katoki-esque decals. The machine gun is actually the GFF 1/144 Mudrock’s machine gun, but for some reason, the scale seemed right, so it fits as an adequate replacement.
I’m not done at this point, but I’ve reached a dead-end. I ordered custom Blue Destiny Decals from Samuel Decal – a great source for those looking to add a bit more design to their kits. I plan on getting rid of that god awful chest “triangle”, adding the Exam System decals, EF Army lettering, and I may just repaint the entire torso and clean it up a bit.
So there we go. In the meantime, while I wait for those decals, I’ll be running to the hobby store to grab some new bottles of grey for the Z Plus. I’ve also decided on doing a custom color scheme for the MG Strike, but that’s a ways off.
Until then – Jaa~