It’s been a while since I’ve done a WIP post on one of my projects, but I’m really enjoying working on the GP04 Conversion kit so I thought I’d post an update.
First, with my last bit of Tamiya Primer, the Shield is done.
As you can see, I cut out the plastic pistons and replaced them with my own mods. (The one on the right looks a bit crooked in the picture, but I’ve since adjusted it). I used big, brass tubing, painted with Tamiya Chrome silver. They’re thicker and look more significant I think. The kit itself comes with an adapter that allows the shield to rest comfortable on the left arm, instead of just the old ‘peg in a hole’ on the bandai original. I went with Cobalt Blue for the GP04. I know the GP01 is already blue, but its a much darker blue, so this should look unique enough when they’re all together.
While I wait for my order from Hobby Wave which will include a new can of primer (I had to go with Mr. Surfacer, seems Tamiya is out of stock everywhere in the US for now) – I’ve started the pinning process.
After doing some research on the kit, it seems that the back propellant tanks create a stability/durability issue, as the tanks are pure resin and tend to weigh quite a bit. So I’m using big, 3/32 brass tubing to pin the backpack, so that there are more than 12 supporting pin applications, allowing the back pack to distribute the weight.
This won’t fix the “back heavy” issue, but I don’t really see a way around that. I have a small support stand that will sit under the lower propellant tank, which I think is all that will be required for a fixed-pose, once I decide on one (this kit is designed for MG pose-ability, but as with all Resin kits, this is not a toy, and so will be for display only…much like all my other kits).
So that’s it for today, I’ll post again with updates as I go along. The Gun will be the next thing I paint…I decided to get the weapons done first, so I don’t rush them in the end.